Hello Friends of Kidding Around,
Happy National Cheese Ball Day!
At Kidding Around we know that it can be very difficult to do school work at home. Keeping your kids focused and engaged is a difficult task, but we do have a few suggestions for how to make education fun at home!
For the next few weeks, we will be posting themed resources to help you through this puzzling time and this week will be focusing on Educational Resources! Linked below are different resources that will be enjoyable for the whole family!
Are you and your family looking out your window a lot? Do your kids ever ask you about pigeons? Of course there are the wonderfully funny books by Mo Willems, but there is a lot more to learn about these birds that grace our fire escapes. Did you know:
Pigeons are highly intelligent. They are incredibly good at navigation, because they can navigate by sensing the earth’s magnetic field.
They mate for life.
Both parents take turns in taking care of their young.
They have very good hearing, making it possible for them to hear at far lower frequencies than humans. They can hear incoming storms and volcano eruptions from great distances.
Fun Pigeon-Related Activity:
- Get out some binoculars (and maybe a fun hat) and go on a wildlife expedition in front of your window!
- See how quickly you can draw a pigeon while it’s moving or flying
- Try to find the similarities and differences in the different pigeons you see: purple neck, white spots, brown breast?
- If you are lucky enough to live somewhere that attracts a variety of birds, do a little research and help your kids write a bird log, complete with drawings and daily entries. You can even name the birds that return to your backyard or window!
- Other birds you might spot in NYC: Mourning Dove, Starling, Hawk, Sparrow, Bluebird.
These are two really helpful websites for bird identification, complete with bird songs!
And here are a variety of educational online resources:
Educational activities related to Shel Silverstein’s poems
The New York Public Library has an endless supply of books, audiobooks, homework help and online resources
American Museum of National History has a wide variety of science related activities
Scholastic has educational resources for all ages!
Including activities assembled by the author of Captain Underpants, Dav Pilkey!
Lakeshore Learning has printable worksheets, writing prompt, flash cards and more!
Magna-Tiles can teach you basic geometry, fine motor skills and cooperation!
Harper Collins has reading and storytime related activities, videos and podcasts!
Who doesn’t love Fancy Nancy! At her website she even has fun birthday activities!
The Kidding Around Staff
Please continue to order from our online store and to check out our Instagram and Facebook pages for more updates and activities!